Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Draftie


Draftie, a morale boosting comic strip from WWII ran from January 27 1941 to October 8 1945, daily and Sunday. From the start the strip was signed by William Juhre, Paul Fogarty was the script-writer. Juhre drew the Tarzan daily for a short period and on a comment on my previous post HERE, Jim J. recalled studying under the artist William Juhre:

"My parents wanted to give me art lessons as my 8th grade graduation gift. Call it fate or a predetermined course on my Life Path, but Artist Bill Juhre happened to live practically in my backyard in De Pere, WI. I was taken to his contemporary home on scenic Scray's Hill where he would review my portfolio and "interview" me to see if I would be accepted into his coveted watercolor class. I was a young kid and extremely nervous, but the elderly gentleman complete with his sterotypical snow white artist's goatee, immediately put me at ease with his gentle, soft-spoken demeanor. I couldn't believe I would spend the summer of 1973 pursuing my artistic passion, studying under tutilage of one of the original Tarzan illustrators - WOW! When the course was complete, Bill gave me an incredible gift - one of his prized black and white Tarzan comic books. The inscription read, "To an aspiring young artist - William Juhre." May his memory always live. "Thank you Bill", for sharing your incredible talent with me."




1 comment:

  1. Whoa..! A few minutes ago on (Australian) TCM I was watching "See Here, Private Hargrove" (1944), from Marion Hargove's WWII draftee memoir, with Robert Walker as Hargrove... Synchronicity, or what?

    ReplyDelete